Welcome Guest

Wave Arts Forum

Multidynamics MB compressor - bass freqs & attack

Posted: 08 June 2005 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2005-05-16

Hi Wave Arts,

I gave the 6-band Multidynamics plugin a swing and liked the features enough to get a license last night. Thanks for keeping the intro price as low as it is - I am usually a $99 guy but this looked like a good exception - especially after having luck with my Panorama purchase.

I have a question regarding some distortion I can cause by setting the attack too fast in the bass range - 20Hz to 120Hz for example. If I set the attack to the fastest speed 1ms, fast (50ms) or medium release (250ms), and a reasonable abount of gain reduction I can get some ‘character’ (distortion) when a kick drum comes through. Backing off attack to 10-15ms changes the character of the compressor so it is transparant again - no kick distortion.

I’ve seen this on other compressors and haven’t decided if it is a problem or not with WA MultiDynamics. I’m thinking that if I want to use Multidynamics as a limiter in the bass region (high ratio 50:1, fast attack 1ms, fast release 25ms) then that would be an issue as the bass would get colored.

What do you guys say? I like the transparant nature of Multidynamics and the ability to compress/limit and sum 6 discrete freq bands in a single plugin (I like steep crossover slopes also). Very Cool. I’m just learning Multidynamics so it may be that I never really need to have that fast of an attack/release in the bass or sub-bass. I’ll just have to play it by ear - LOL .

Signature 

Hosts: Tracktion2/Reaper

Posted: 10 June 2005 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2005-05-06

Hi Kylen,

Using really fast attack rates in low frequency bands will definitely increase the distortion because you are really distorting the waveform. A typical kick drum thump, say around 60 Hz, has a period of about 17 msec. This thump waveform will get seriously distorted if you use really short attack times. It’s not too surprising you hear much less distortion when you back off the attack to be around 10-15 msec, roughly the period time of the waveform.

I think you’ll see in the presets that the attack times at low frequency bands are all much longer than at high frequency bands, for this reason.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Signature 

Bill Gardner
Wave Arts, Inc.

Posted: 12 June 2005 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2005-05-16

Hi billg - I agree - just checking things out, I don’t see a problem.

Multidynamics uses envelope detector I guess so those settings would distort the bass I agree. Still learning my way around the plugin - thanks!

Signature 

Hosts: Tracktion2/Reaper